- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 90 minutes
8 frenched lamb shanks
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 chorizo sausages (about 250g), cut into 1 cm slices
2 cups tomato pasta sauce
2 cups beef stock
1 tsp ground oregano leaves
400 g can white beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
steamed green beans to serve
1. Brush the lamb shanks with a little oil. Heat a large frypan over a medium high heat, brown the lamb shanks well on all sides. Remove and set aside.
2. Reduce heat in pan and add a little extra oil, add the onion and chorizo, cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
3. Add the tomato pasta sauce, stock and oregano. Bring to the boil, and then reduce heat to low. Add the lamb shanks. Partially cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and continue to cook uncovered for further 40 minutes. Check and stir occasionally. Stir through the white beans and parsley and warm through. Serve with steamed green beans.
Simmer the lamb shanks gently and taste them to see if they’re ready. When it’s done the meat should be tender enough to fall from the bone with a fork.
Best lamb cuts for or casseroling or braising: Diced lamb forequarter, forequarter chops, shanks, frenched shanks, neck chops, lamb topside, leg (bone-in), shoulder (bone-in), easy carve (leg or shoulder bone out), boned and rolled shoulder or leg.
To cook in a Slow Cooker:
Brown the lamb shanks well and place in the slow cooker. Place the onion and chorizo in to the slow cooker with the lamb shanks. Add the tomato pasta sauce, 1 cup of beef stock and oregano. Cover the slow cooker with its lid, cook on Low Setting for 8-10 hours or the High Setting for 4-5 hours. Add the beans and parsley in the last 30 minutes cooking time.
Original Recipe : www.TheMainMeal.Com